Let’s face it – sometimes, you can feel a little overwhelmed when it comes to staying on trend, let alone staying one step ahead of the pack when it comes to fashion jewellery. With so many designers and different trends emerging from all the different shows, it’s a challenge to keep your look stylish and original.
Building on some of the exciting new trends, these 10 pointers suggest easy ways you can take this season’s trends to the next level.
1. It’s a little inappropriate to flash the cash with the biggest bling right now. But neither are you expected to put on sackcloth and lose all sense of style! Playfully scoffing at economic woes with bright colours and happy-go-lucky designs is fine.
2. Unexpected materials are set to be really hot in 2009 and beyond. We’re talking about recycled beads, or rainforest seeds contrasted with base metals like brass. There’s no such thing as too wacky! Remember – talking points are always good, and interesting materials in fashion jewellery, like seed jewellery, are guaranteed to get people asking where you got your jewellery from.
3. Bib Necklaces are back! And the great thing is that you can keep it cheap and look great by wearing a simple white T-shirt with a striking bib necklace to make your statement. A trend that won’t break your bank account!
4. Eccentricity is good. Be eccentric, be idiosyncratic. For example, don’t be afraid to clash bold colours. Just be yourself.
5. Asymmetry, which was taking off in 2008, is growing in popularity but hasn’t yet saturated the market. In particular, asymmetric necklaces are just so different and really catch the eye.
6. This may sound a little weird, but do not underestimate the Michelle Obama effect. The new fashion-conscious First Lady is likely to have huge influence over fashion trends as people look to what she’s wearing. Expect understated chic from the White House.
7. Be nature’s friend. Mother Nature featured strongly during New York Fashion Week 2009, both in clothing and accessories. Any seed jewellery, or fashion jewellery using leaf or tree motifs, natural organic materials or wood is bang on-trend this season.
8. White Shirts are featuring very strongly at the moment. The risk with a white shirt is that, twinned with a black skirt or trousers, it can make you look like a waitress. Why not take this trend to the next level and offset the white shirt trend by adding a colourful necklace?
9. It has been said before, but it’s worth saying again. Tribal remains big, both in clothes (with batiks and exotic prints) and in jewellery, with khaki-coloured palm fibre jewellery and big cuffs remaining something that will work really well in 2009 and no doubt in 2010.
10. Dangling Earrings. Chandeliers that graze your shoulders are set to become a little bit stale this season (not to mention unpractical!), but simple dangling earrings will remain stylish.
It’s not all doom and gloom in 2009, but maybe this is the year to think before you buy. These fashion jewellery tips are a great, and affordable, way of staying ahead of the pack this season.